Chief Mountain, Colorado

Chief Mountain, Colorado

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Mountains, Friends, and a Ukulele

Third transition week; can you believe how fast time flies? It seems like only yesterday I was settling into a cabin in Texas with my brand new team and trying to teach little kids how to chop up apples for cobbler without losing a finger. As a matter of fact, it seems like it was the day before that that I was trying to figure out how to start up my chainsaw in Arkansas... and the day BEFORE that Casey and I were plotting the capture of our trailer's mouse.

TIME FLIES IN THE AMERILIFE. Our days in this program are dwindling down, so what's a girl like me to do to hold on to what makes me happy for a little longer? Oh yeah, apply (and get accepted!!!) for another year. AS A TEAM LEADER!
Colorado sunsets still take my breath away
Anyway, upon our arrival in Denver we were greeted by a group of friends enjoying the sunshine on the lawn, playing the guitar, and hula-hooping. I LOVE COLORADO.

The crazy thing about AmeriCorps is that, after the initial month of training (CTI, Corps Member Training Institute), you only get another month to spend with people that you have gotten extremely close with. That month is spread out into four separate transition weeks, the next (and last) one being your transition into the real world. But even after not having seen these people for ten weeks at a time, even after not having spoken to them due to lack of cell reception or ever-changing circumstances, once reunited it seems like you were never apart to begin with. It's a truly beautiful thing that I have enjoyed throughout my life having family on a different continent, and it's truly amazing to make those connections again.

My transition week, in photos:
My very first AmeriFriend and my AmeriProm date. No, he does not have awful style: 
the theme was "White Trash Bash," I must have missed the memo...
Beach, mountains, great friends, wine and a ukulele... day spent at Bear Creek Lake
CONQUERED THE MANITOU SPRINGS INCLINE!!! 1 mile of stairs at an elevation of over 8,000 feet
SO incredibly proud of my team for finishing!
Started Memorial Day Weekend with a hike in Fort Collins, elevation 7,000 feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment